Ultrasound is a powerful diagnostic tool that uses sound waves to form a picture of the interior of the body without using radiation. Ultrasound offers a non invasive method of investigation for many clinical situations. The procedure can often be done with no, or only mild sedation and is non invasive. Some hair may need to be clipped from the patient beforehand.
We have a MyLabTM 30 VET Gold digital ultrasound machine. This machine offers superior imaging and full cardiac capability to include colour pulse and continuous wave Doppler with ECG.
Dr Alice Anderson has a special interest in ultrasound, imaging and cardiology and has 15 years of clinical experience in these areas.
Uses for ultrasound in diagnoses of conditions include:
Heart and lungs
- Congenital and acquired conditions of the heart
- Pericardial (around the heart) disease
- Lung masses
- Foreign bodies – often pet eat unusual objects
- Abdominal masses
- Organ assessment to include stomach, liver, gall bladder, kidney, pancreas, lymphatic system, gastrointestinal tract
- Bladder and urethra assessment
- Aspirates and biopsies of necessary areas
- Investigation of vomiting, diarrhoea, weight loss
Soft tissue injuries
- Ligament/tendon injury including biceps, patella, gastrocnemius
- Recurring abscess location and drainage
- Muscle masses
- Foreign body location – grass seeds, or other foreign objects can move thorough your pet’s tissues
- Pregnancy -Estimation of foetal numbers and gestational age
- Uterine disease, ovarian cysts
- Retained testicles
- Prostatic disease
- Cushings disease
- Thyroid disease
- Pancreatic disease
- Refractory diabetes mellitus
Instructions for referral
If you would like to request an ultrasound please:
- Contact our small animal department 07 888 8197
- Let us know the client’s details and we will ring them to make a booking
- Forward the case history and indicate if you would like to discuss the results with your client, or would like us to discuss findings with them
- We will provide a written report by fax or email and where possible will speak to you directly to discuss the results. Images are also available upon request
If you would like to contact Alice to discuss potential cases please feel free to do so on: firstname.lastname@example.org or 07 888 8197.
*Please be aware that this is not a specialist service, and offer your clients specialist referral as a priority.