Matamata Veterinary Services | Latest News

Latest News

Mouldy Food Poisoning in our Pets

August 10, 2021

Mycotoxins are poisonous substances produced by fungi and molds that grow on spoiled food. These substances are toxic to dogs as well as humans and can pose a problem for pets that like to eat food out of the trash or compost heap.

They are frequently found growing on old bread, nuts, cheese and other dairy products.
Initally your pet may show signs of:
🐾Vomiting
🐾Diarrhoea
🐾Disorientation and restlessness.
However can very quickly lead to tremors and seizures and if not treated may lead to death.

Treatment initiated as quickly as possible leads to the best outcome. Initially we try to eliminate the toxin by either inducing vomiting if the dog is well enough, or by gastric lavage under general aneasthetic. Activated charcoal can be given to try to absorb further uptake of the toxin. More serious cases can then require intensive hospitalisation to manage the seizures.

The best way to avoid this very serious situation is to avoid ingestion of old foods by your pets as best you can. Make sure your garbage cans and compost heaps are dog proof, and never feed old mouldy food to your pets.

Photo cred: i-stock